Durand is a private day school located in Woodbury, NJ. Durand serves students ages 5-21 with autism, learning, and developmental disabilities.
The curriculum at Durand emphasizes academics, prevocational and functional life-skills. Secondary students receive vocational training and job sampling. Durand provides speech therapy, occupational therapy, and physical therapy.
- NJ Department of Education approval
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)-based instruction
- Job coaches
- Highly-qualified teachers
- Supervision by Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBAs)
- Small group instruction
- Data-based instruction and intervention
- A curriculum emphasizing functional academics, with a primary focus on prevocational and life-skills training
- Verbal behavior classroom
- Community-based instruction
- Frequent communication between school, home, and the student’s home district
- An extended school year program
- Occupational and physical therapists
- Individualized and classroom sensory diets
- Prompts for Restructuring Oral and Muscular Phonetic Targets technique for Apraxia, Articulation, and Phonological Disorders
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication trained speech therapists
- In home and community based extended day services
My name is Jillian Bianco. For more information about Durand school programs, please call (856) 845-0666.
Heidi Light-Giglio, BCBA – Heidi has been utilizing the principles of Applied Behavior Analysis with learners having developmental disabilities for the past 18 years. Her foundations were established through her years working at Douglass Developmental Disabilities Center, of Rutgers University, and through the Pennsylvania Verbal Behavior Project, now PaTTAN Autism Initiative. As a BCBA since 2006, Heidi has consulted to various school districts, private schools and home programs across New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New York. She has spoken at many local, regional and national conferences, and acted as an expert witness in a variety of due process hearings. Her passion is for using the analysis of Verbal Behavior to develop spontaneous and functional use of language and related skills based on each individual’s strengths and needs, establishing curricula that marries both developmental and practical skill progressions, and overall, using best practice behavioral principles to increase meaningful skills for every child.
Joyce Kaveney, owner of Speak to Me Kids – “I have been working with Durand for almost 5 years now. Throughout my time at Durand, I have grown to know many of its staff members, as well as work with many students. Durand puts a big emphasis on the services they provide, including: speech therapy, occupational therapy, and physical therapy, as well as behavioral therapy. Due to the increased amount of services provided, and the strong relationships between the service providers and the classroom staff, the students are more likely to reach their goals each school year. At Durand, you will find compassionate staff members who work closely with families and caregivers to ensure students reach their upmost potential.”